View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Starting to consider a Focus to replace my wife's car. Want something practical (1 kid + trying for one more) and economical, but still fun and stylish. Also leaning toward American-made this time out. I think a hatchback Focus SE with sport package and 5MT might fit the bill perfectly. But most dealers seem to only stock automatics and, in any case, I hate purchasing from dealer inventory - I'm pretty picky and when spending this much money, I want to buy exactly the car I want. I don't mind waiting for the factory to build it, of course.

Anyway, my concern is that I've heard dealers discourage this, as they prefer to sell their own inventory. My last car purchase was a BMW, and while I think they would prefer to sell inventory first, they are very open to customers ordering cars and it is in fact very, very common.

So, I guess my first question is should I expect some resistance if I approach a dealer with this? And will I lose all incentives by factory ordering? I also plan on using the USAA car buying service, and wonder if this is compatible with factory orders? Finally, might a better option be somehow searching nationwide inventory for a car spec'ed as closely as possible to what I want? The thing is, I absolutely refuse to pay a penny above normal destination charges for them to ship the car to me - for that, I'll just order the car, you know?

Anyway, thanks for any info you can provide. I'm still at the very preliminary stages of researching this possibility, but that I should get some very basic logistics sorted first.