Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus –Suspension Clanking – Ford of Canada Unacceptable Behavior
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
LOL, the hotline assistance is actually based in the US....even for Cdn techs. So if your guys down there contact hotline then they'll be speaking to the exact same people/person. With hotline assistance you often get canned responses that are cut/pasted from them that may or may not even apply to what you are dealing with. I rarely ever contact them. I usually only get ahold of them to establish a paper trail for when I am performing a large repair and want a little bit of backup as to what I am doing (because warranty often questions why you make large repairs). To be honest I don't think I've written them anything in over 6 months. Its far too hard for them to diagnose noise/vibration/harshness concerns from halfway accross the continent over a computer. Where they get helpful is when you have trouble codes and have already done a pile of electrical tests and give them all your results and go from there.

Sorry I can't help you OP, my focus doesn't clank and I don't think our shop has had to check one out yet. I'll ask our front end guy if he's had to diagnose one but I work right near his bay and don't recall ever seeing one.

........most Ford dealers do have a piece of equipment called "chassis ears". It's a device where you can clamp various probes to different parts of the front end and have someone drive the car while another tech sits in the passenger seat with headphones on. You can switch between the different probes and listen to the clanking/clunking. Based on which probe gives a louder signal, you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Find a dealer who has one of those. It might take a couple road tests and shifting probes around but I find they work pretty good.
I told him to drive to the US not call.[bootyshak[bootyshak