Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #47
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd like to add a note about driving techniques in here. I don't have one of these cars, but I have found through discussions on this forum that you will experience shudder and other noises if you drive this car like a torque converter automatic. Think of this car's transmission as an automatic shifting manual transmission. If you've ever driven a manual transmission, then you know that you don't let out on the clutch and idle around even in 1st gear. Some shudder problems have been solved by changing driving technique: don't take your foot off the brake and not put it on the accelerator, and avoid creeping accelerations. We had one FF from NJ who had some issues with her transmission, and the cure was to drive like a teenager for a while. I'm not encouraging spinning out everywhere, but don't by shy on the accelerator. That helps the clutches wear in, and once worn in you can drive slower with the exception of avoiding idling around in gear, or sitting with your foot off the brake and not on the accelerator.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.