Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SVT Timing Belt Change...The Stuff You Never Seem to Hear About!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
rgonyer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5268
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 rgonyer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, I'm not here to piss anyone off, but I did this recently on my '03 SVTF. I am a hobby mechanic and an electrical engineer by trade. In my opinion the service manual directions are about as good as I've seen. The additional things I would stress in my opinion are:

1. Loosen the intake and exhaust cams with an impact gun before taking the old belt off etc.
2. Replace the exhaust cam pulley bolt with an aftermarket socket head cap one. I think Massive has them. The torx bolt is way too freakin shallow and you can/will strip it trying to get 85 ft/lbs on it.
3. Use a properly sized open end wrench on the flats on the cams to hold them while you are tightening the cam pulley bolts.

You loosen the cam pulley bolts to allow them to float in the exact right position before tightening. This basically gives you perfect timing since the crank and cams are locked into place. Can you "luck out" and get it without doing that? Sometimes. Do you really want to throw a code and have to do it over? If you're like Tom and have done 1000 of them you probably have a "feel" for it, but most have not.

This worked like a charm for me the first time. No codes thrown and it runs great, even better than before.

blackonblacksvt03 - you scare me a lil, and this is why I like to do my own work. Don't you think the service manual was written the way it was for a reason?