Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT Timing Belt Change...The Stuff You Never Seem to Hear About!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #23
03#1965
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66541
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 03#1965 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
Here's my 2 cents. I think Fords process plays it safe and covers the cars that get out of tolerance. When I did the belt I had two mechanic friends with me, one which was the previous owner. We indexed the cam gears with a marker but when the timing bar was slipped on the marks were off... so if we didn't loosen the gears there was a trade off, either the crank would be off TDC or the timing bar wouldn't slip on. I think that was my understanding of it, it's been so long since I did it. Anyway after the belt was done the car ran great and had more power than I had ever known.
I guess to clarify my point, you really can't index the cams to each other until AFTER the belt is off and the timing bar is in the cams (#1 @ TDC, crank pin in). But at that point you should be able to do it and--really--if the cam gears are never loosened (and your belt doesn't break) those marks should always be a really good timing reference point. If that's not logical, I'm sure someone else will chime in.
03 SVT Focus #1965
86 XR4Ti 5SPD
www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com