Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #1002
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You know I accepted that at face value from you guys a while back but I found this on Ford's media site. Doesn't seem to jive.

From: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574

Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)

What it is: The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). How it works: Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. Customer benefit: Improves shift consistency and transmission durability and allows for shifting that is better suited to specific driver styles or operating conditions. Ford status: Available on many North American vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Pretty much the same as the Focus's manual (below). Doesn't seem to shed any light on the subject.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
automatic transmission must relearn its shift strategy. As a result, the
transmission may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is
considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Steps 1-3 take just a few minutes and are performed with the Ford diagnostic tool (IDS).

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrim View Post
Man, no wonder techs don't want to do this. I don't know how you do that around here without having a test track of some kind. Maybe that's doable on a Saturday around here but that's it.
Wow, some great info from the service department ... Thanks for the research and posts Kabigon and Kam327!

This explains alot about the adaptive shift and the importance of the Drive Cycle. This drive cycle was given to me from my dealer after doing the update because they were running late and was getting to the end of the day. I eagerly voluntered to perform this since I knew it was a very important last step to the update which can cause DCT driveability problems if not performed correctly; and especially if not performed at all.

I thought doing the drive cycle was going to be easy until they handed me the step by step directions then it seemed more involved. Either way though it was something I wanted to do correctly so I made sure I studied it and proceded with the steps:

The first steps are done in the parking lot then I made it to a long street (1/2 mile or so with no stop signs) right by the dealership to perform steps 7 thru 9 (0-15 mph) ... then drove to a nearby freeway (about 3 mi away) while performing step 10 at the same time (accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm). Then I made it to the freeway to perform the final step (11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.)

It all went well and was not difficult to do. Then I test drove for about 15min doing light to normal accelerations then I put her to the test driving like a maniac and was very impressed with the new shift strategy. It was a great improvement for my DCT and has been working awesome ever since.

I believe anybody having shifting issues with thier DCT should do the reset procedure and then perform this Drive Cycle to help fix their issues. Also I would think anyone getting a PCM re-flash (TSB update) would want to perform this themselves (regardless if the dealer said they did it) immiediatly after the update, just to be sure. Performing this procedure more than once (first by the dealer then by you) shouldn't have any poor effect on the DCT and could only help it IMO.

Last edited by noahsfocus; 04-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.