Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Help. 2000 Zetec spitting out coolant from plug holes on valve cover!
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for reaching back to me.

I can see the two freeze plugs from the open holes in the valve cover where the plug wires go and one for the freeze plugs looks pretty badly corroded -- I believe this is the culprit! (...but maybe I should R&R both, just to be certain?) I started "treating" the plug with WD-40 to prepare it for removal.

If it is this plug (and it comes out), it should be a inexpensive repair.

(The photos with the cover removed are not from my vehicle. I need the parts first)

I went to an auto parts store (AutoZone) today and they had no clue what a core plug or freeze plug was and could not find a part. I called a Ford dealer and got the same result? WTH? Everyone within ear shot at the AutoZone told me I had a blown head gasket. (Baloney!) A mechanic who was at the store (who happened to be picking up parts to fix another 2000 Focus), offered his moonlight services and would bring over the equipment (w/ screw adapter for overflow reservoir) to pressurize the coolant system, to verify where coolant is leaking from. I will probably take him up on his offer.

I have to find some place to order the plugs! Should not be so difficult to find these!

I will follow up on this post, so others with this issue can benefit from this. Any input, thoughts, rants, raves, questions of any kind would be appreciated.