Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #100
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
This new Focus has incredibly touchy steering. I find that I have to push relatively hard to actually make the wheel move, but it's so touchy that even applying -pressure- to the steering wheel (not even enough to make it move) can change the direction of the car. I'm having to *constantly* make adjustments to my steering, but this isn't just at freeway speeds, it happens at 60mph or 45 mph or 30 mph. It seems to take a lot more force to budge the wheel on the Focus, and very tiny adjustments create a huge impact in your direction.

How do you guys feel about this? Is it just me?
Sounds exactly like the improperly set steering centre position sensor problem (from the steering gear manufacturing plant) for which there is a TSB. The EPAS is fighting you, about the centre position... I suspect it feels like there is a detent, or an about-centre force or a roughness / higher force evident about-centre. So, it is hard to move it off-centre, but once the steering "gives way", you've pushed it too far (and it veers off) and you have to correct the car's course, in the opposite direction. And of course, then, you face the exact-same issue, in the opposite direction. So the car moves from steering left to steering right, and back and forth and back and forth, all of the way down the road. Folks have said it is downright exhausting to keep doing this, all of the way down the road, for any distance.

Apparently this action is not always evident at lower speeds, or it is not always evident until some time at speed has occurred.

If this is what you are feeling, you need a new steering rack, c/w an assortment of bolts -- all detailed in the TSB.