Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Help. 2000 Zetec spitting out coolant from plug holes on valve cover!
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
no foam in oil, no steam in exhaust

So the "channel" where the plugs go are sealed off from the cam heads by the gasket on valve cover. So where (and how) can coolant get from the water jacket below into this channel without the head being cracked???

UPDATE:

UK FORUM -- http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...ark-plug-hole/
" Coolant is very slowly Leaking and filling up spark plug hole in 2005 1.6 Ford Focus Zetec Climate Auto? Could it be rocker (valve) cover gasket? "
"I have a 1.6lx that had the same problem; it was the core plugs that were corroded, they cost 87p each from Ford and took a garage to 2 hours to fix; replaced my ht leads and spark plugs and blasted the car on the motorway problem fixed "

This sounds like this may be the problem!?

Found these two posts as well (again, both from the UK):

"Found my problem to be one of the 2 core plugs or also known as frost plugs to be leaking. These are located between spark plug 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. They blow if engine freezes. Screwed in with hex key.
Could not get plug out, tried Block sealant fluid, Lasted for about 2 days then blew again.
Replaced 3 plug and leaks stopped. Huge hassle getting plug out ended up drilling and chisel.
Sealed new plug with copper gasket sealant and nylon threaded PTFE tape. Still going."

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...ark-plug-wells

FOCUS 2.0i Zetec X Reg (2000) Engine Light/Misfiring/Water in spark plug wells [...]

"It is usually a core plug in the cylinder head inbetween the spark plug wells that leaks , using the rad weld may of cured it ( for now ) . The current misfire could be the coil packing in because of the amount of time the H.T leads were immersed in coolant or it could be If the coolant level is low the cylinder head temperature sensor shuts cylinders down to keep the engine temperature down and allow you to drive home with the misfire. Would be well worth quickly checking the coolant level as it may of settled a bit , hope this helps a bit ."

"Previous post is correct. Remove the core plugs (big hexagonal screws between spark plugs) seal threads and refit. [...]"

Last edited by CitizenPete; 04-10-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added information