Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #97
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had my SE sedan on 16" steelies for about 3 weeks and I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the steering, wondering if I have this issue or not.

My build date is December 2011.

The thing is, I've been driving Gen 4 Tauruses (a 2002 and a 2004) exclusively for like 8 years, so maybe I'm just having trouble getting used to the electric power steering?

With the Taurus, as long as your alignment was good, that thing would hold a straight path for half a mile on level highway, and you could EASILY move the steering wheel a fraction of a millimeter to compensate if you got a little off track.

This new Focus has incredibly touchy steering. I find that I have to push relatively hard to actually make the wheel move, but it's so touchy that even applying -pressure- to the steering wheel (not even enough to make it move) can change the direction of the car. I'm having to *constantly* make adjustments to my steering, but this isn't just at freeway speeds, it happens at 60mph or 45 mph or 30 mph. It seems to take a lot more force to budge the wheel on the Focus, and very tiny adjustments create a huge impact in your direction.

How do you guys feel about this? Is it just me?