Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #1340
GreyFox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95457
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 GreyFox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MFT 3.0 Upgrade with 11A02 and 12M01

Ok, so I finally got a call from the dealer service advisor this morning, and he had received the NAV SD card for me. We arranged for me to bring my car in at noon, and pick it up at 5 when I got off work. Ford authorizes a loaner for this, so he provided that as well.

Got there, he checked me in in about 10 minutes, and got me in the loaner. Off I went back to work. I went back there at 5:30 to pick up my car, and he told me the updates were done, NAV card installed and the APIM was replaced. I inquired further in to the APIM replacement, and he showed me the recall paperwork for 12M01. I told him that I didn't realize that was a part that needed to be replaced and he confirmed it was. He said not every MFT system needs it, just certain ones. I shared my experience with other users in this forum, and that we felt we have seen a pattern in that recently purchased cars seemed more likely to have the 11A02 and 12M01's listed.

I asked for a printout of the service order, which he gave me and it clearly shows that 12M01 is a recall (perhaps the warranty is also extended, but that's not listed for this item). The part is APIM Replacement and Reprogramming per recall. The cost of the part is $650.67 which of course I didn't have to pay because it's all under warranty. It took the tech about 30 minutes to do this.

Results? The 3.0 upgrade is really really fantastic. I had some, but few issues with 2.11, mostly minor cosmetic things and sluggishness. I played with the 3.0 for about 2 1/2 hours after I got home and it's very smooth, very clean, I found NO issues so far. While it was indexing my iPod, it paused once or twice while I was telling it to do other things, but as soon as that finished (much faster than in 2.11 btw), response from MFT was very nice and smooth. Bug free? I don't think so, but I can tell you that it's working quite well so far and I gave it quite the workout trying to just get in to every part of the system and test out as much as I could. I think it's worth mentioning that I did do a factory reset on the system just before I dropped it off at the dealer. Don't know if that was needed, but it seemed like it couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I think it's good that those of us who have positive experiences post them. In general I believe most people coming to a thread like this are probably coming to find help and / or see if someone else is having the same issues they may be having. I know some of you have done this, but overall, I don't think most people with good upgrade experiences are coming here to report such. As a result, it's easy for visitors to get the impression that 3.0 is a disaster for nearly everyone, when in reality that's just simply not the case. Yes, some do have legitimate issues, but after all is said and done, I am thrilled with the upgrade, and think Ford did a pretty good job overall.