Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - I must be getting old... :-) DIY 2012 intake modification
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Points 26,169, Level 96
Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Duffman, I completely understand. The factory system is actually pretty good. It is probably the best compromise Ford engineers could come up with from a power, reliability, and NVH standpoint. It is easy to open up a Mustang intake. Especially the sweet new 5.0. To an enthusiast the sound of a 4valve V8 is music. But the Focus ( non-ST [the ST's turbo will change the game for what they will do from an NVH standpoint {more leeway}]) is a car for the masses that has evolved from being just plain fun and economical, to a fun, luxurious ( for its segment), and economical car. Thus the compromise that is the factory intake. The engineers did their best with the targets they were given. What I have did gives the Focus a little growl. Nothing loud, but noticeable. It is really pretty nice. But I assure you that some liberal douche from Motor Trend would complain. Thus the ultra-quiet factory compromise.