Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Post your MK3 Ford Focus (2012-Present) Pics!
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #878
DemskeetSkeet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88167
What I Drive: 2012, Black Focus Hatch SEL 302a

FF Reputation: 1 DemskeetSkeet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnWI View Post
I've never done anything like that with the calipers and wouldn't know how to only paint them. Can you give me some idea of how to best paint them (prep and what not) and if I need to take them off?

Thanks! $8 is hard to beat!
You'll have to take your wheels off first, the paint dries quickly and is much better if you do two at a time.

I did the front two first by putting the car up on jack stands, took off my wheels. I then rubbed down the entire caliper with mineral spirits on a rag. Didn't do any scrubbing as my car is washed every week and it's only around 6 months old anyways.

I then taped off the drum first, then rotated it so the tape was under the caliper(Keeps the drum clean). Then I continued to tape everything around it off and was careful with over-spray so I didn't spray the wheels wells, frame, etc.

Once it is all taped off put on a light coat, go to the other side put on a light coat, then back to the first caliper, spray on a medium coat, then back to the 2nd caliper, spray on a medium coat, etc. Go until it is all covered. Don't put it on too heavy to start as it'll run. It dries within seconds so if you can only do one caliper at a time then spray a light coat, wait 10-20 seconds, spray a medium coat, and continue to spray until you're satisfied.

I ended up with a light coat, and two medium coats and it was covered well. It looks more professional if you tape in behind and around where it has the Ford logo.

Don't panic, it is really fool-proof(Not saying you're a fool )
Build Date: 08/16/2011
Picked up: 08/25/2011