Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #92
Foci-runner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95625
What I Drive: 02 SVTF/ 03 Turbo EAP/ 01 S2 (DD)

FF Reputation: 1 Foci-runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
Hey Foci-runner,

Glad to hear this was post was helpful in making your decision!

I ultimately did not get camber bolts and apparently don't need them. I drive primarily on the street and if I plan on going to Auto-X's I will definitely get the adjustable bolts.

To answer your question, you do not need the bolts for the alignment unless there is something seriously wrong with your rear camber. I would suggest you get a free alignment check to see if the camber is seriously out of specifications - if so - then purchase the bolts. I'm not sure every other poster would agree with this logic though as most of them went ahead and purchased the bolts before their alignments...

What kind of struts/shocks do you intend on running? The stock ones will not be in anyway useful when running your car on the FRPP springs. My recommendation would be to purchase the SVT shocks/struts as well.

Also, while you're at it, you may as well upgrade your rear sway bar to at least the SVT spec 21mm bar. I'm not sure what the ST bar's specs are but it may also get the job done.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
Funny thing is....

When I bought my car it had a bent strut on drivers side, two bald tires on front, key marks everywhere, a cracked windshield, craked headlight and wrinkled front pass. fender- it needed some work. but mechanically it was sound and the interior is immaculate. It only had 74,000 miles and I got it for just under $2,000. I did my research and found out it was worth almost $5,000 in good condition. So I bought it with the intent of just fixing everything wrong with it and turn around to sell it.

But now I am hooked on it and researching all the info on Foci on this forum just made matters worse. There is a lot you can do to these cars I didn't know about. back to the point- I replaced the front struts and rear shocks and took it in to have an alignment done already after putting two new front tires on also. It was spot on (except the pass. side had excessive toe out because I had to replace the outer tie rod and the replacement tie rod body was longer than the OEM so even when I screwed it back on with the same number of rotations it stuck out too far.

Had I knew that I was going to catch the "Focus Bug" I would have waited until after I had my new wheels/tires/suspension on before getting the alignment.

As of now I have brand new OEM suspension all the way around and would really prefer not to have to replace them until after my zetec install. I don't even have a rear sway bar (as of yet) But plan on getting one when I see a good deal pop up on this forum.

I know the lowering springs might kill the longevity of the stock springs/struts but they have a lifetime warranty and I don't plan on waiting too much longer to do the Zetec Swap which is when I will put in the new suspension. Right now I am just trying to bring it down a little lower to earth and will worry about the performance handling side of it a little down the road. If the ride Is really too rough then I may just not have it aligned and put the stock springs back on and wait to do the springs when i get the stuts