Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Giving myself a bad review.
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
bennyfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50465
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Zx3

FF Reputation: 6 bennyfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thumbs down Giving myself a bad review.

I recently backed out of a deal I made with someone and I feel terrible about it and I dont want it to ever seem like it was intentional or that I'm some huge ass hole. I will try and make this as brief and short as possible.

I have had my motorcycle fs/ft on here for awhile now and a member on here sent me a pm very eager to trade me his 2002 SVT for my bike. We talked for a day or two via phone conversations and txt's. After awhile we decided to do the trade and decided I would trailer it almost 13 hrs to his house which I was fine with. On the 26th I asked for his registration, drivers license, and title to be faxed to me so I could show it to a notary here to make sure everything would be ok and make sure I had enough info to not have any problems. He called me and said he wasnt sure what was wrong but for some reason the title said "not actual mileage". At which point I was slightly turned off but I asked for him to fax it anyway, sure enough right on the front of the title it said "not actual mileage'". I ran an autocheck on it and it showed up not once but twice as not actual mileage. Now i'm not accusing him of lieing I understand what happened and how this mistake was made and I expressed that I would like to see if it could be fixed. He tried but the best answer he got from the DMV was its 10 years old so mileage is now exempt from disclosure on the title. At this point in time I should have said I'm sorry but I'm no longer interested but I didn't and we kept the time setup to trade early the morning of the 31st.

Later that afternoon one of the owners at my work asked me what I was doing with my motorcycle over the weekend that I needed to take off. I told him I was trading it for this car at which point he had said he wished he had known I was getting rid of it that he was very interested in it. After some talking he made me an offer that was very hard to refuse. I thought about it all evening and night the 26th and all day the 27th untill I finally accepted the afternoon of the 28th. The main reason I took the owners offer besides the fact it was saving me 26hrs of driving was the fact that the more I thought about the title being branded the more I realized it seriously hurt the resale value of the SVT. I didnt have immediate plans of selling the car but if the need were to come up I didnt want to get less than the value of my bike.

So now all of that out of the way I text the person I was going to trade with late the evening of the 28th letting him know that I got an offer from my boss I just couldnt refuse and I apologized. I cant stress this enough I am VERY sorry and I hate that I did back out but I think anyone in my shoes would have made the same decision. I did text him and I did not call obviously because I was ashamed and embarrased to have to back out of this deal. He obviously and understandably was very upset and he informed me that he had just bought matching riding gear for the bike off of craigslist and now he was out all of the money and not me. At this point I feel even worse, believe me I do, so I apologize again. Even though I know he most likely spent more I asked if he had paypal and if I sent him $100 if it would help at all. I can fully understand why he is so pissed at me and I have yet to hear back but I am completely willing to send him the money for his inconvinence I caused him.

If he wants to be named he can come in here and comment or bash me thats fine I deserve it. If anyone else would like to tell me I'm a douchebag for pulling out of a deal thats fine I deserve it. At the end of the day I would like to try and make it as right as possible and I think the offer of $100 is fair. Honestly I'm sure its more than most would offer because I'm sorry but I never make an anticipated purchase off of a transaction that has not been finished yet. I'm sorry I caused you to be out however much you spent on the gear but you didnt even have the bike yet.

I dont know what else to say except that I'm sorry and it was an ignorant move on my part to go back on the deal.