DoomsdayFAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92019
What I Drive: ~2006 ZX4 SE Sedan 2.0L~

FF Reputation: 1 DoomsdayFAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAnimal View Post
staging is when you pull up to the lights and set the tree (staging lights for your lane come on). the tree doesnt drop until both cars are staged.
first or last to stage doesn't matter. if your first, wait to do anything until you see the next lanes stage lights to come on. then set the brakes with your left foot (auto) and when the first light drops bring the rpms up and launch on the third yellow. by the time your tire rolls through the beam the green will have dropped. try not to anticipate it tho or you may end up redlighting.
Everything in racing comes down to two things, practice and asking if you dont know.
Plenty of the older guys at the track would be happy to answer, they were starting out at one time too.
I see. Next time I go to the drags (should be within two weeks) I'll try it out. Hopefully I get enough runs in to try a few different things.

But is it also bad for an MTX to start revving the RPMs too soon too? Like, say the MTX guy pulls up to the staging area, gets set, and starts revving like 8 seconds before the green light, is that just as bad for it as it would be for the ATX driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Lets assume that you have enough torque to never lug it down.
Too much rpm while footbraking preloads the suspension too much, where with a transbrake (or clutch pedal) that problem is completely avoided.
What if you do it too low? I think my goal will be to get the RPMs right around 1,500-2k for launch.