Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #70
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I got my Focus back from the dealer last week after they replaced the Left lower control arm. I was told that after first replacing the part that the car was still making the noise so they removed the lower control arm and found that it shipped with no grease. They greased and re-installed the part and the noise was gone. I asked if the right side had grease and the service advisor (not the tech) said yes so I hope they indeed verifiy this. This brings up something I saw in some pictures that I took awhile back prior to this repair. If you look at both bushings for LT and RT Lower control arms there is a rust colored dusting on the inside of both bushings to me as a technician it's source is most likley metal to metal wear and as the small particles of steel stick to the rubber bushing they will then oxidize/rust possibly indicating what I see in the photos. Now does anyone else with an issue similar to mine have this same rusty color on the bushings?

Talking to a friend at work he brought up the fact that it may be brake/rotor dust and I think he is right. My doomsday theory goes pop.

Last edited by bobakman; 03-30-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added additional information.