Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Regular Unleaded Gas (stock) vs Premium Unleaded Gas (tuned)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SCT xc3 tuner goes a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefrom View Post
I believe it depends on the kind of tune you want, you can tune more for performance or economy. 91 burns a little smoother than 87.

Does the ECU in the focus not adjust to octane ratings like other cars? Example, my V6 accord will adjust to different octanes and advance or retard timing to compensate, but switching from one to the other you need to go about 500 miles on the certain octane before the computer recalibrates for the octane. Running 91 instead of 87 will get rid of pinging and get me slightly better milage although on 87 I can average 35mpg on the freeway (about 1 mpg better with 91). A honda engineer has said running 91 instead of 87 will give you a 10hp bump in the accord as well. All this without a tune.

Thanks for bearing with me, trying to expand the knowledge of my vehicles.
Thats pretty inpressive= 10hp running 91 over 87 on a stock motor. All I said was w/ a 91-92 octane tune you'd better mpg than w/o= you wouldn't have your foot into it w/ a tune than w/o. You will find w/ a tune your motor runs better= more spark/ injecter timing, etc. With a tune you have ascess to a lot of different parameters= wot fuel adjustment/ idle rpm/ spark advance/ trans shift points/ tire size-rev per mile/ cooliing fan temps/ rev & speed limiter & a lot more.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131