Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #840
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
It's kind of amazing the wide variety of experiences people are having with this car. You experienced a tranny meltdown but no throttle delay. I've never had any significant tranny hesitation, but the thottle delay is generally much worse for me than on any conventional auto car I've driven. A bunch of folks on another thread a few weeks ago agreed.

Is there really such a wide range of behavior with these DCTs or is it all about the driver's frame of reference and experience?
Did you have the latest TSB done to your Focus? Do you think the delay is maybe a failsafe feature that guarantees a proper gear change? For the record I was definitely driving in "D" mode at the time. I guess I should've specified that.

I can tell you right off the bat that I've never felt such a responsive car in quite a while until I got into the 2012 Focus SE. That was definitely the biggest highlight for me. By comparison, earlier that day I was playing around with the 2012 GTI and Golf TDI (both use a wet dual clutch system known as "DSG"). The VW's dual clutch system is smooth as butter and never gave me any issues. However the GTI felt like it had the same annoying throttle delay as my Rabbit. The Golf TDI felt way more fun and responsive... but that's because it had 236 lbs-ft of torque.

Gotta love diesels for that I guess. I'm still a little bitter that Ford decided not to bring the Focus TDCi over to America. I can assure you any throttle delay you feel can easily be overcome by having a proper engine with tremendous amounts of torque to play with. And a good chip/tune will bring you back up to the 160 hp range, if horsepower is a huge concern...