Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #837
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
My transmission acted weird at two different occasions. I took a right turn at a light and tried to accelerate away, when the car would rev but wouldn't move. It felt like I was revving in Neutral (I was in D). I tried shifting the car to S and back but that didn't help. Same thing with Neutral. Luckily I could pull to the side and turn off the engine and turn it back on and it started working fine again. It kinda freaked me out and would've been bad if there was another car coming behind me. This happened only twice and the service guy couldn't replicate it, obviously.
The same exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago while I test drove a brand new 2012 Focus (SE sedan). I was taking a left turn into a side road and the PowerShift transmission decided to stop shifting without any warning. Out of frustration I tried to floor it and the revs simply bounced off the limiter like I was in neutral. It wasn't until I took my foot off completely and pushed on the gas pedal again when it finally decided to shift and let me accelerate.

I glanced over at the salesman while all of this was happening and he just shrugged at me with a stupid look on his face. Luckily I cleared the intersection before this fun moment started, because both of us would've been pancaked by an incoming 18-wheeler. TSB or not I don't have much confidence in PowerShift after my brief test drive. It's a shame because aside from that it really was fun to drive. I mostly liked the fact that there was absolutely no noticeable throttle delay—which is definitely a rarity with cars these days.

The other thing that bugged me were the terrible Ford dealerships in my area. I've checked out FOUR separate dealerships in person and every single one of them had idiotic salesmen. They either had a very poor "don't give a shit" attitude with me or they simply didn't know a damn thing about their own cars. One of them stubbornly insisted a Fiesta sedan was a Focus. Another one at another dealership brought me over to a Fusion! Seriously??!

For the record I love what Ford is doing with their new lineup. It's not hard to see that they've come a long way. It just sucks that the actual dealership network sours the experience badly. On top of that I don't think a car's transmission should take a dump during a potential customer's first test drive. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the 2013 model turns out. So far it looks like I'm favoring the Golf TDI more. :-/