Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Regular Unleaded Gas (stock) vs Premium Unleaded Gas (tuned)
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #21
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayFAN View Post
Does adding Octane Booster to your car do anything beneficial? So what if I get a premium octain tune and then add a can of octane booster?

Simple answer, no.

If you look into how the Octane system works you'll find that most boosters claim to raise by "points". What they don't tell you on the bottles is that 1 Octane is equivalent to 10 points. SO a bottle that claims to raise Octane by 8 points would raise 89 to 89.8, not 97 Octane.

It's my opinion that if you truly need something to raise the fuels Octane rating above that of pump fuel, you should be able to afford the costs of quality race fuel, else the mods you've done are all in vein. Also there can be relatively simple tricks to ward off spark knock W/O the use of high buck fuels. Simple things like indexing your spark plugs might help, running shorter gaps or lower heat range plugs.
I have indexed my plugs for a while now and it might just be placebo but it kinda seems that it helps some. I point the open end towards the center point of the exhaust valves.