Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #84
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,958, Level 26
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)

Update:

After a few weeks of driving, I've come to realize that though the car is a little stiffer and the suspension travel is much less...the communication and control that I've gained was unimaginable before I got my FRPP kit installed.

The suspension has been set up with only a thicker rear sway bar (SVT) at the rear - the idea was to keep the car closer to a neutral handling set up rather than oversteer or excessive understeer. I believe upgrading the front sway bar would have increased the understeer.

I attack corners with aplomb and at curves where the stock set up would have fallen into chronic understeer, the FRPP now handles those like a champ with only the slightest hint of oversteer at the edge. However, I am certain that my handling is being held back by my tires as the rears only have 2/32" of tread left and fronts ~4/32".

Tire choices have come down to Continental DWS or Continental DW. Leaning towards the DW for the performance nature -- however I am slightly worried about the possibility of snow that I may or may not encounter...thus the chance of purchasing the Continental DWS.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90