Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Assembly Lube, worth the extra $?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes use regular oil on pistons. I've heard stuff about people doing 'drystart' on rings to help them break in. That's sheer stupidity. I lube up every part touching area. You don't need moly lube unless higher sprung cams used. The valvespring load is what kills the cam. DON'T let it idle though. If moly in oil, change after 20 min. run, if not, first oil change around 50 miles then second at 500. Look at the oil in strong sunlight and all the gold glitter you'll see is from motor parts getting familiar with each other. You don't want that first startup oil in the motor for 500 miles.

Take car out and load rings like jetrinka says above. Don't run high rpm and don't stay at a constant rpm either. Alternately load motor off/on, getting into throttle pretty good but not full power. You're loading ring to wear in then back off to flood them with oil splash to cool off the extra friction of still being new. Consider the rings bedded in 90% after first 30-40 min. of operation, if not the ending hone job was not right.

I lost count of motors built at 100+ long ago, and have never lost one to break-in problems.