Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Assembly Lube, worth the extra $?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,842, Level 32
Points: 2,842, Level: 32 Points: 2,842, Level: 32 Points: 2,842, Level: 32
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Most of the above ideas will work fine EXCEPT for the one guy who wants something like 'thick' grease. That is a mistake. You want something that is tough while being thin, it blocks oil holes until it gets blown through them. Think about thick grease plugging oil passages. Great way to blow your stuff up and quick. The lube must be thick enough to not run out of a bearing by itself yet thin enough to easily pump through small oil holes and the last quality, it must break down to oil itself virtually instantly so it becomes transparent to the oil system. You don't want clumps of it clogging your fresh clean oil pickup tube. I've used #105 Lubriplate in tube for many many years and no need for anything fancier. The STP/oil mix is good too.

Moly lube goes on cam lobes and tappet wear points. It was made specifically for that sliding scrubbing contact encountered there. No need anywhere else in motor. Left in oil it causes detonation so go light if turbo motor. On the many drag cars we built we ran it for the cam break-in period (20 min.) then changed oil to get it out.

ALWAYS if possible prime oil pump up to pressure before lighting the sucker up. We made priming tools out of old derelict distributors for the motors we did. Pump run up and motor turned over by hand on engine stand to fully fill all oil galleries. I guess on these motors you have to motor engine with starter to get pressure up since crank drives pump.

Last edited by amc49; 03-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.