Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #62
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's with all the Conti hate?? Are some people really that butthurt and blind about specific brands that they can't be a little more open-minded? For their price point they're really not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonous View Post
The DWS are quiet IMO compared to the stock Bridgestone Potenza's that came on the Saabaru (WRX). The DWS is awesome in snow with the Subaru AWD powertrain. I only put 900 miles on the Focus Contis before putting Bridgestone Blizzaks on it which are coming off this weekend. But they seemed quiet to me iirc.
Cacophonous, I'm with ya. Another happy Conti DWS owner here too, but running 16's on a VW Rabbit. I regularly "abuse" the hell out of my car with spirited driving and I can honestly say that these are easily the best tires I've ever had, period. What I like most about them is that they're very predictable when pushed to their limits, and offer surprisingly good wet traction to boot. Little known fact is that many local police departments use this tire too. I can definitely see why after I took my first spin on 'em.

If anyone wants real POS tires for comparison, try a set of Cooper CS4's. Those things hydroplane at the very sight of a puddle on the road. Their sidewalls also have a nasty tendency to flex badly under heavy cornering, leading to boatloads of mushy understeer. It effectively turned my compact hatchback into handling like a '72 Cadillac Deville. Granted it's a "touring" tire built for comfort, but still I wasn't expecting it to be so unsafe for such a premium price!