Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #845
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My 2012 SEL hatchback now has a little over 7000 miles and has received its first oil change. Still no problems to report. The PowerShift tranny works great and I have experienced no problems. In fact I like to go through the gears myself in 'sport' mode when driving in the mountains and dealing with severe uphill/downhill stretches of road. I do I lot of driving and there are a few features worth mentioning that you don't really appreciate until you have had the car for awhile. Features like the gear display in the driver's side display when manually selecting gears, the built-in blind spot mirrors, the intermittent speed selection for the rear wiper, the extra wiper cycle after washing the front or back window, great four wheel disc brakes and excellent high beams when driving on twisty mountain roads at night. I have never had a car that has such a well lit interior at night. Even if it did not have ambient lighting I like the way absolutely every button or switch lights up in the dark and the dome lights are very bright when a door is opened. Add the ambient lighting with its selectable colors and brightness and you almost hate to see the sun come up! Other handy things that I like are the dual trip meters with fuel info, the USB port for playing flash drives filled with music, the back seat bottoms that fold forward allowing the rear seatbacks to fold down to provide a flat floor. I keep the 60% side folded flat and the smaller section upright all the time now because I carry a lot of stuff. For a smaller car this Focus has some great passing power on uphill stretches. If the auto tranny is in 'drive' it will kick down in to 4th gear and really take off better than any small car I have had driven before on the same roads. Yet my average gas mileage is always in the 35/36 mpg range. I can only imagine that if I took a long drive using nothing but highway speeds on interstates it would be even higher which nowadays is a great thing. My driving is about 60/40 city/highway. The only option on my SEL is the moonroof and I will never have another car without one. And on this moonroof is the one touch 'vent' position which is convenient. And a Ford feature that is found on many of their products; the capless fuel tank. The first couple times I bought gas I had the feeling that I was forgetting something but of course I was not. And I like the advanced automatic climate controls on this model, the extra turn signals in the outside mirrors, the built-in garage door opener and SYNC features, although this car has the standard SEL interface and not the full blown touchscreen system. I was able to pair my phone and train the garage door opener buttons in the driver's visor in less than 30 minutes and they always work. The seats are very good and are just as comfortable after a six hour non-stop run as when you first got in. And I would be remiss if I did not mention the excellent handling and quiet ride. Those were the main 2 things that made me decide on the Focus after narrowing my original choices down to the Focus, Mazda 3 and Hyundai Elantra touring model. In the life of a car 7000 miles is really not that much, but it is a good feeling that this car has not needed any warranty work at all. Happy motoring!

Last edited by JimsterG; 03-17-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo