DurdySE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92855
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver 5dr SE

FF Reputation: 1 DurdySE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Don't recall seeing this problem before. This is a good kind of problem to have: something doesn't work, no subjectivity about how it should work, no "can't duplicate the problem" excuse. It could be a bad switch, a loose connection, a blown fuse, etc., but it should be an easy thing to fix. But I think you're toning to hav to bring it in to the dealer.
Right on.

To recap:
I locked up my car last Tuesday, with no complaints.
Wednesday morning, the front windshield wipers were dead. The rear wiper worked fine.
I took it to our fleet mechanic (I work for Budweiser), who tested every fuse. All were good, so I called the dealer.
The service manager at the dealership had no idea, this was the first time they had heard of this problem.
I dropped it off on Friday morning...

So, I got the car back today.
Mike, the Service Manager at Courtesy Ford in Sanford, FL, told me they had to replace the negative battery cable. Apparently, there is a 'sensor' on the negative battery cable that is a critical part of the windshield wiper system.
I asked him if he knew anything more than that and he said no, but was happy to let me ask the mechanic.
The mechanic, Chad, was as baffled as we were. He said the only reason he found it was because the computer tells them to check certain things in a certain order and the negative battery cable was the last thing. Chad and Mike both said they had never seen anything like it before.

Thankfully, my situation was covered under warranty.
Mike took good care of me, and they gave me a rental car to use in the mean time.

In case any of you have this problem in the future and have to pay out of pocket for it, the cost of the part was only about $60.