Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #75
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Some have actually dynamatted the whole roof, and yeah, they had to remove the headliner. Also, many have only insulated the area surrounding the mic, as the headliner IS the noise-deadener for the rest of the roof. I would think if you could insulate the mike locally, it would help. Are you saying the its the ambient noise from INSIDE the car that is causing this?
Exactly. I thought the road noise was being picked up from the Mic on the backside of the headliner. So I took about a half inch thick piece of condensed foam and cut it to where I could wedge it directly over the back of the mic. It is completely sealed now. I have a sun roof so I can look down behind the mic by opening the sun roof and looking fwd of the headliner. My mic is literally air tight now on the back side yet it made very little difference when I test drive. Inside the car there's a degree of road noise like you'd expect in just about any car. I wouldn't say its excessive at all. But the Mic seems to amplify the crap out of it so when your talking I can hear myself clearly but it sounds like Im on a speaker phone for sure and when you stop speaking you hear the roar of the interior road noise.

Before you put insulation above your mic. Try this. Call a friend or your voicemail and leave a message as your driving and then go quiet for a sec so it can record the sound of the car inside. Place your palm over the mic and when you play back the message see if you notice when you had your palm over the mic that it was dead silent. If so then I doubt the insulation will do much.