Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #72
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
The fact that the Mic is working and picking up sound indicates to me that it's likely fully functional. The fact that it also picks up background noise is probably incidental and I wouldn't have a lot of faith that the service dept would find any issue with it and state its working as intended. If it were something like the person on the other end couldn't hear you or the Sync voice commands never seemed to understand you, etc than I would thing that would be a clear case of a possible issue with the mic.

I wonder if there would be any improvement in either relocating the mic lower in the car away from the roof or try to lower the sensitivity of the mic itself by putting one of those foam wind noise protectors that you usually see on boom mics or conference room wireless mics. We have one of those and without the foam cover on the mic it seems to pick up way more background noise. I know the foam is suppose to reduce the wind noise when standing outside. It may have no effect on a mic like were using inside the car though.

That's a shame, I was truly impressed with every other aspect of this car. Sucks there had to be one feature I was looking forward to that turned out to be sorta useless.

EDIT: If I relocate the mic I will definitely share my results.
The OP pretty much did the same thing, and it showed marked improvement. I was asking whether there was a way to adjust the sensitivity of the mic with SYNC itself, without having to resort to the fic the OP originally listed. I just like to keep things stock if for no other reason than disassembling the overhead console and risking breaking something...looks like I will be shoving some insulation in there tho.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!