Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #71
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
just talked to a sync tech (rep, so maybe not 100% knowledgeable) but she said the mic sensitivity is not adjustable in the car, so maybe it is a buried setting...

Thank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury SYNC Support Center.

You are now chatting with 'Sheila'

How may I assist you?

you: Is there a way to turn down the sensititvity of the microphone on sync, while making a phone call. When at highway speeds (55 and up) there is alot of background noise/windnoise...

you: the person on the other end of the call reports this every time we are at highway speeds

Sheila: There is not way to adjust that. You may want to have your dealership check the microphone to ensure it is operating properly.

The fact that the Mic is working and picking up sound indicates to me that it's likely fully functional. The fact that it also picks up background noise is probably incidental and I wouldn't have a lot of faith that the service dept would find any issue with it and state its working as intended. If it were something like the person on the other end couldn't hear you or the Sync voice commands never seemed to understand you, etc than I would thing that would be a clear case of a possible issue with the mic.

I wonder if there would be any improvement in either relocating the mic lower in the car away from the roof or try to lower the sensitivity of the mic itself by putting one of those foam wind noise protectors that you usually see on boom mics or conference room wireless mics. We have one of those and without the foam cover on the mic it seems to pick up way more background noise. I know the foam is suppose to reduce the wind noise when standing outside. It may have no effect on a mic like were using inside the car though.

That's a shame, I was truly impressed with every other aspect of this car. Sucks there had to be one feature I was looking forward to that turned out to be sorta useless.

EDIT: If I relocate the mic I will definitely share my results.