Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #762
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Let's not forget though that several articles I've seen have suggested there have been a large number of customer complaints which have forced Ford to make several of these "running upgrades", both software and hardware. I doubt they would be putting so much work into improving the unit if only 5% of owners were coming back to their dealerships and complaining. Gotta be more like 25% or more. Otherwise they would've just waited to introduce all their improvements into the '13 model year.

And I'm still not convinced about the DCT's driving superiority. Had to give the Focus to my wife temporarily and borrow my parents' '03 Suzuki Aerio again, 4-banger and conventional 4-speed auto, 90,000 miles. It is night and day how much peppier the Suzuki is in city traffic, instant throttle response, shifts pretty much when I want it to. My particular Focus pales in comparison; so much off the line lag and indecision by comparison.

Of course I'm also monitoring the mpg of the Suzuki over the next few days and expect it to get probably 7mpg less than the Focus in the same driving. That's probably the primary tradeoff.
The New York Times had a complimentary article about the Skyactive Mazda 3. While the engine sounds similar in concept to the Focus, the Mazda DCT also has a torque converter that operates at speeds less than 5 mph. The added torque converter would likely eliminate most of things we Ford DCT owners complain about.

The Mazda's mileage is slightly better than the Focus and its transmission was judged a strong point. Not that I want a Mazda, mind you, but if only...