Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #753
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,571, Level 65
Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65 Points: 9,571, Level: 65
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
From what i read on this forum most people do not like it ,they are all gripeing
Again they wouldn't be on a forum generally to sing the car's praises, but the small but vocal community doesn't make up the entire population of people who have the cars, and those who are happy tend not to yell and stick out their necks about it, even if the car was fine for them.

I've seen both sides of the issue from a distance, as I am still contemplating acquiring one sometime soon (a 2012 Focus that is), that if all the vocal complaints were accurate how could they disprove the good experience I had in both a test track environment, as well as in an abused rental car that was stained and a bit dirty inside, but mechanically shifted like silk being pulled across skin. Mathematically the DCT is the more efficient gearbox at freeway speeds, even though it does cost more upfront and is far more sophisticated than the simple sliding gear single clutch manual. The manual which by the way was coming from Germany when the DCT was coming from Mexico.

I do not mind and actually enjoy shifting gears myself, as long as I'm not caught in block to block, heavy traffic, but besides the slightly larger tires effectively tweaking the gearing taller the new Focus manual isn't really geared any better than my old and current car. It also weighs more which hurts mpg in city driving when its that inertia that you need to overcome to get the car moving, however on the freeway its engine speed and aerodynamics that play a larger component than vehicle weight, at least on level pavement.