Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #43
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I took some of that dense foam. The kind you kneel on so you dont screw up your knees.

First of all I fought like hell to get the plastic console to drop down from the headliner and when I got it down it really didn't benefit me to do that so I ended up snapping it back in place. It was actually easier to insert the foam from the top where I could access the back of the console with the sun roof open.

So I jammed a piece that fit directly over the top of the mic and it sealed it off pretty well. Then I put another longer piece in front of that.

When I took it for a test drive. Just driving through my neighborhood and recording the call into my work voicemail. Play back still sounded like a lot of wind noise, however I could talk and hear what I was saying but the moment you stop talking you'd hear the wind noise.

I don't know why the foam piece wouldn't be just as effective as anything else. Maybe in order to achieve the best results that Im looking for I will have to remove the headliner and apply the dynamat to the entire roof.