Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #703
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Thank you for your reasonable response, much appreciated. Yes others have suggested my break in procedure was faulty, but by the quote from the manual you just provided, I had no choice but to follow the recommendation to the letter. With suburban commuter traffic, continuously varying speed is a must. I probably average a stop light every mile and never use cruise control. If I drove it across country on cruise control straight off the lot, then yes, shame on me...

It was I who used the phrase "design flaw." I don't back down from that possibility, however remote. If the clutches are indeed overheating under certain driving conditions (as necessitated by road conditions, not driver habits) I think that leaves the door open... Perhaps they should have stuck with wet multiplate clutches which have been more proven in the field, no?
I dunno about the design flaw being a remote possibility. If the clutch overheats in conditions that drivers can reasonably be expected to experience (an hour of stop and go driving, for example), it sure seems like a design flaw to me. On the other hand it's also possible that the design is fine but a few bad parts got into the system.

If Ford had an answer for this it would suggest bad parts. As they don't seem to have an answer...

Oh, and mine was broken in exactly according to the Owner's Manual as well.