Gazookz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82103
What I Drive: 2011 Metallic Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 Gazookz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxd36 View Post
I have a 2012 SEL with the Sony package. I'm not a huge audiophile so the speakers suit me fine, but the sub is kind of weak for my taste unless I turn the bass all the way up then the other speakers do sound like crap. After replacing the OEM speakers and putting an amp and sub in my Mustang recently I don't feel like going through all that again right now so is it possible to simply remove the Sony sub and connect the wires to a better sub. I was hoping on putting in a single 10" sub. Thanks in advance.
I believe that would work if the stock sub is 10" and the depth of the new sub can fit into the box. In my opinion that really wouldn't make much difference unless you plan on adding a different amplifier to it or possibly a new box. Also make sure the sub you plan to use calls for that size of box and is the same impedance (ohms). A lot of times if the box isn't within the spec for the sub it doesn't sound that well. I'm sure someone with the 2012 model has done this and can let you know if it's worth it or not.