Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How-To: Remove 05 Duratec alternator from above
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzman View Post
Question,is this the original battery or first replacement? I'm just trying to see if it's possible to avoid this job if i just buy a new battery every 5 years whether it needs it or not.
The guy who rebuilt the alternator said that it needed new field brushes, bearings, and regulator. Fortunately it didn't need a new pulley- those are like $85 from what he said. The total cost was $85. The battery was 7 years old, but it's not like it was dead- I think I drove to work on it in the morning with the lights on- that's like 20 minutes. Heck the new battery only puts out like 12v even and the old one put out 12.7 GO MOTORCRAFT BATTERIES!

I wish I'd taken a pic of removing/installing the stud. That's probably the most important thing to doing it this way. I guess it's because I had to get under the car to slide the alternator on, so I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrad6937 View Post
I have an 06 ZX4 is this the same configuration as your 05?
I have no idea really, but it should work if you can get everything out of that corner.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.