hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It got personal the moment you told me to stop spreading misinformation when in fact what I said was posted by Ford earlier in this thread.

I would like to know how you know the inner workings of the APIM. Above, you do admit you could mess it up and you would have to take it to the dealer which is warranty work. That is what Ford is trying to avoid.

And you are also assuming a good hacker can't break installation keys.

In fact, I don't even need to argue my position any further. Ford came on this very thread and told the group you risk voiding your warranty if something goes wrong with a ripped copy of MyFord Touch and you brick the APIM.
Actually, Ford never mentioned anything about bricking the hardware. They said it could be damaging, which means "the installation could be borked". That doesn't mean it can't be easily fixed (IE, it's not bricked).

Either way, it's irrelevant. It's not possible to install an update that's not signed by Ford. Do I know this for sure? *YES*. I work for a software company and have delved into the inner-workings of the APIM. Unless the key is signed by Ford, it can't be installed. Now, if Ford releases the public key for the installer, then sure it can be hacked. Until that point, the only way would be to directly connect (not via USB) and change some of the I/O memory to fool the system. These changes are also still somewhat small and very difficult to make.

The main point? All of this has been discussed and answered, swiftly and exactly, and you are angry that I answered it again. Ford reps also told us for 2 years that there's nothing wrong with the current system, then that an update would be forthcoming soon, then that we wouldn't lose features, etc... Ford reps are great to have around, but they haven't exactly been the *most* helpful in terms of information.

No company on Earth is going to say, "Hey, download that copy of our software that's available on the internet". Of course he's going to say we shouldn't. There's no "risk" in doing it other than maybe having to go to the dealership (which is still very slim...you could even pull the battery during the install and it can still be recovered).

So, put away your attitude and read the thread next time instead of getting sassy with the people that actually know what they're talking about and are trying to help.