hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Go pound sand. Who made you the authority on this? You don't think a hacker could change something in the update and it starts spreading around the internet as such? I would rather get it from the source then some internet site. That's your choice but don't go crying to your service department for warranty work if something should happen.
Wow. No need to be rude or personal. If you would have read *THIS* topic you'd have already seen multiple times the explanation on why it's not possible to brick the APIM. I'll explain it again, for those of you unable to read and prone to making personal insults:

In order to *actually* brick the APIM, you'd need access to the low-level subsystem. This is only possible if you have the hardware from a Ford dealership, since that information isn't even *accessible* through conventional means.

The only problem you could run into is that it messes up the overlying framework, which is when you'd get the "contact your dealership" message. Most of the time, a simple fuse pull and trying again will fix it. If not, you take it in and they re-image it.

What this means is that there is *NO* chance of actually bricking the APIM. The worst you can do, in any way, is mess up the install...which can easily be fixed by a dealership.

And since you apparently missed another point made in this thread...there's no chance of a "messed up" install. The installation is locked using keys that aren't accessible to the public. This means that the installation can't be "faked" or messed with. If the files aren't actually put out by Ford, they won't do anything when you try to install. If it were possible to mess with an installation like that we'd already have modded interfaces.