Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #82
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Post alignment and a few days of driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacalZX3 View Post
hey karmakc, I am in a similar situation with the springs. I was planning on H&R springs but I am always considering other stuff. After you have had the setup for more than a couple of days is the setup just stiff or maybe too harsh. But the drop does look good on your car.
I've put approx 144 miles on the current set up. I also had an alignment done and I'm glad I did. The rear was out of whack and while they fixed the rear, the front also got sorted.

To answer your question, I had to ask myself what I was looking for in the suspension set up. I originally started looking at getting a better handling package that wouldn't sway as much as it does stock. My stock suspension only had 50k miles and is definitely still good, however, I live in a part of California that has twisty, windy roads all over the place and I've always wanted go-kart like handling on a car...I got very interested in the SVT kit due to its low cost and its mannerisms are amazing, known by all enthusiasts etc...

Then I realized, I may not be happy with just that kit and I heard more and more about the FRPP progressive springs/SVT dampers (aka FRPP kit)...and I ended up getting it plus a cheap (new) SVT rear sway bar from a member for a grand total of $400 including shipping and taxes.

With the alignment and suspension all settled, I have to be quite honest in saying, if you live anywhere there are cracked roads or expansion joints on the freeway, this set up may not be for you. It is a stiff, and exciting set up that has me grinning when the roads are smooth and sometimes grimacing when the roads are truly awful...however, I understand that it may take 1000+ miles of driving for the suspension to settle before I can give you a better judgement on the set up.

I'm very happy with the cornering ability, where with a stock suspension, if I was pushing the car on an on ramp, the car would fall into chronic understeer. Now the car tracks like its on rails with very little play at the back. I'm really impressed by the geometry and the car feels like a whole new animal. The lowered stance is taking a little getting used to but I don't see that being a problem.

I'm not sure how the roads in Iowa would be for a lowered car, that is something you'd have to evaluate for yourself...hit me up in a couple of weeks and I'll be able to give you a much more, indepth review.
Hatch Nation #135
Blazin' the Twisties #90