Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I drive very spiritedly, and I find them to be just as good in the winter as my old BFGs for turning, and my old Potenzas as well. If you are pushing the Conti's past their level of adhesion, you are driving too fast or agressively for the street, period.
Have you ever driven with dedicated summer and winter tires? All-seasons suck at everything, some more than others. The Conti's aren't the worse all-season tire I've seen by far but they still suck if you even remotely care about driving and enjoying your car.

I've only pushed the Conti's past their breaking point a time or two so it's not like I'm out to be speed racer every time I get behind the wheel. The tires just have way to soft of sidewalls for any form of spirited driving. Their wet traction is decent enough but it's not steller.

As for the winter, I don't know how anyone can consider them good, especially with a traction control system that's not very intelligent. I drove with the Conti's once in the snow and that was enough for me, I couldn't go anywhere and stopping might as well been an afterthought. I went out the next day and bought snow tires and I haven't ran into any weather thing winter I couldn't handle safely. I was up north over the weekend in Traverse City and they got something like 15" of snow, I felt completely safe driving to Crystal Mountain to go skiing.