Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Assembly Lube, worth the extra $?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drostedrummer89 View Post
Personally I'd use a ford assembly lube, or any standard name brand. I also would not spend oodles of money on ultra high performance race power NOS impregnated assembly lube (lol) but a reputable brand will be fine. Get a cheapo jug of conventional 5w30, you're only running it for a few minutes then draining it all out anyway. I would say any filter other than fram is good for the first few startups, the price difference between fram and motorcraft is negligable, but the difference in quality is almost exponential.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
I have heard stories about the assembly lube not "integrating" into the motor oil and causing blockages in the oil passages. Want to make sure I get something that will work well. I have heard the STP and motor oil but it may be a few months until i get everything put back together and the STP / oil sounds like it will be to thin....

Also you say I am only running the oil for a few min... don't you put 500 miles on the first go around of oil? I have done some big block work before on a 460 drag engine and you let it idle for so long at first start-up, and then a higher idle for so long and then change the oil. do you do the same thing with the focus?

i.e. Turn on engine, let run 15 min at idle, 15 min at 3K rpm. drain oil and filter. Fill with oil, drive "slow" first 500 miles, change oil. Drive regularly till 2k miles. After 2k miles on new engine, O.K to beat on??

Regardless of the assembly lube it looks like you can get most about anything for under $10. so I think I will just get a good name brand thick lube and same brand thinner liquid assembly lube and call it a day.

Also some lubes specifically say not for pistons.... should I use a unique oil for that or just use a thinner assembly lube as I had mentioned above?

Thank you for all the help!!!!
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)