Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
nos2006
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87547
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 nos2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tuning for MPG Gains

First off, I just want to make it clear that I'm looking for real numbers, not speculation...

I have an '04 ZX3 w/ 2.3 and basically just have bolt ons including a long-tube header. The car doesn't really run perfectly smooth (though this is partially from the BSD I'm sure), and I know the right thing to do is to get it tuned to run better, but I'm on a really tight budget. So I'm looking for numbers for me to compare...

1. What is the cost of a 87 octane tune that will smooth out performance and increase MPGs?

2. For those who have been tuned with basic bolt ons (especially for those with their cat removed), what were the before/after MPGs with the same modifications (except the tune obviously)?

I want to look into a tune, but only if it's a good financial investment for me. If it's going to take me 15000 miles to make back my money from the tune on gas mileage alone, it's not worth it to me. And I think this is going to be difficult considering the best MPG I've gotten on this setup is somewhere around 36. Again, I know I'm looking at this wrong because the health of the car is the most important factor, but student loans are a bitch.

Thanks in advance!