Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
Noemi (or anyone),

Mostly just a Q: about the adaptive transmission, but since the flash to bring it up to date (and my transmission service)... my Focus started out shifting in the lower gears at lower RPMs (which I prefer) but has gradually adjusted to shifting at around 3,000 RPMs. Perhaps I could understand this if I were a street racer, but I'm not... I'm 40 and I bought the car for the gas mileage and have to think that it'd be getting better MPGs if it would consistently shift at lower RPMs, no? Even using the Select Shift it is reluctant to shift below 2,000 RPMs. Is this normal? Is there a setting that my dealer can toggle in the software to get it to maximize shifting for MPGs?
Depends on how you look at it. It's a tiny 4 cylinder engine, it doesn't make torque down low.

While accelerating, if you can keep the engine in the low end of the torque band, you'll have the best efficiency.

Shifting at 3000 should put you at around 2200-2500 after the shift and that would be the low end of the torque curve.

Anything below that, for acceleration, and you're really overworking it out of it's torque curve.

I've found I get the best mileage out of my 2.0 Duratec in 11 Focus if I keep the revs between 2000 and 3000.