Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus?
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #184
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibyak View Post
Yes, I just got the 125,000 miles, 4 year on my 2012 SE 5 Door. I had a 3 year 100,000 miles on my 08 Focus SES. And I had the 100,000 miles 3 year on my 06 Freestyle. I got it on the Freestyle because of the CVT Transmission which didn’t start having problems until 60,000 miles. My Freestyle was in the shop over ten times and I had loaner cars for about 10 - 12 weeks. My dealer never charged me the $100.00 deductable. The reason I got on the 2012 is also the transmission. My 08 Focus also had transmission issues at about 8,000 miles where it wouldn’t shift into 3rd or 4th and sometimes reverse. I guess that was covered under the standard 36,000 miles but I’m not sure about the loaner car. I drive between 35,000 – 42,000 miles per year so the base warranty only covers me for less than a year.
damn, I thought we put on a lot at 20 tp 25K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomShakalaka View Post
I bought an SE less than 2 weeks ago, no SYNC of MFT in it. Auto transmission is the only additional option I purchased (to safely share it with my gf to drive my daughter around). I bought a 7 year warranty through the dealership, but the finance manager said that if I cancel this that it won't take my monthly payments down but instead will just take the last two months off of my term. Can anyone confirm that? I brought my dad who hasn't bought a new car in forever, and I asked him if it sounded like a good idea and he kinda shrugged and said yeah. I can't justify 2800 on a warranty that wont likely be used. If this transmission is shoddy I'm going to test it in the first 36k and make it prove itself.

To add onto that, being it's my first car, the peace of mind sounded like the right choice, but without any extra electronics, I feel like if something happens to the tranny or suspension they're just going to try and find a way to exclude it from warranty coverage.
Congrats on the car, its a great first car (mine was a 1990 Tempo, already 8 years old when I got it lol!)

And yeah, since you have already financed the total amount, including the warranty, you would get a pro-rated amount back toward the loan after canceling, (if the car is paid off ny then, you get a refund minus admin fee) should you decide to sell or trade it in before warranty coverage is up. Your payments are an amortization, meaning that that the amount of interest and princliple are figured out at the start of the loan, the longer the loan goes on, the more of the payment goes toward the princliple balance. Your paying almost all interst int he first 1/3rd of the loan time frame. So if you make higher than minimum payment, your loan gets shorter cause theres less principle to charge you interest on...

Long story short, cashing in the remaining portion of the warranty will shorten your loan...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!