Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Help me make a How To on Making Your Own Wiring Harness For Cruise Control (smart people with wiring diagrams apply within)
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-rod05 View Post
Been busy with school but I had been back and forth a few times to the junkyard finding out new things each time. I made a disassembly video for engine bay and interior parts and also a wiring diagram overview video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJayrodo

Last three videos are the cruise control videos (Parts 1-3 so far)

I still need to make the wiring guide, I'll try to do that on Friday and post it up along with a new thread that has all the instructions.

You say you have the wheel, but do you have a servo yet? The videos show exactly what you need. It's all the same on 00-07 just from 05-07 your servo will be located at the front of the engine bay behind the driver side headlight.

Actually from what I've found is that there is no difference in-between the SPI or Zetec modules, they both have the same circuit board numbers and I've tested both an SPI and Zetec servo in my SPI Focus and could not notice a difference at all. The only difference in fact the actuator cable, which is engine specific due to length of cable and the type of mount to the throttle body.

The servo itself it pretty generic I've come to find that it was the same design on the mercury cougar and a few mustangs that I saw at the junk yard, but those had different pin-outs and different circuit board numbers so it probably isn't worth the hassle trying to get those to work on a Focus.
Awesome. I just purchased a 2007 zx3 manual strippo Focus last week for my daughter and bought the used ST leather wheel yesterday. It'll be a while before I dig into a junkyard to get the remaining cruise parts I need. Hopefully I can find somebody willing to let me hack an '07 car or I'll just adapt an earlier setup like you used. My 2.0 zetec motor was used all years I think & hopefully the throttle body linkage remained sinilar. I guess you're saying the '05-'07 steering wheel switches and clock spring are identical to the '02-'04 stuff. Any idea why they moved the servo toward the front of the engine bay in '05?

Your videos on youtube are wonderful. However it took me some time to realize all the harness hacking you did under the dash around the fusebox was simply to obtain some scrap multicolor wire to "reuse". I guess that's the difference between a thrifty student and an old engineer with spare cash and a cellar full of scrap wire.

Looks like it took a whole decade to get a comprehensive cruise install procedure posted on the internet for '00 to '07 focus...thanks so much for that!

PS: Ford parts websites show a unique clockspring for 2005 thru 2007. I'm not clear if air bag, turn signals, cruise, horn or something else changed.

Last edited by Lscman; 02-23-2012 at 12:12 AM.