pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
If it involves anything major (ABFORDGUY mentioned several different main harnesses available) I highly doubt people will pay thousands of dollars to install a factory backup camera after the fact. Some of these harnesses can run into the thousands, plus the other modules and equipment required, plus the install time, and the programming headaches involved since you'd have to "steal" another VIN and use the programming from that one to try and reprogram yours.

I saw a tech at my dealer (who is a genius at electrical) spend 14 hours on an F150 to integrate a factory backup camera. He was running extra wiring, programming various modules and in the end he was left with a backup camera that only worked intermittently. He spent 14 hours on it, and got paid for 3. I think they ended up pulling the whole thing out and went with the little 100 dollar aftermarket deal. After seeing that, I will never attempt anything similar. While it would be cool to solve the puzzle, I like receiving a paycheque too.

The reason why some of you are getting very little support with it, I really think dealers aren't willing to take a gamble, using your wallet, to see if it can be done. Ford probably isn't getting into it for liability reasons. Someone will find a way to sue them for it. Anytime I have to ask an engineer about technical matters and it involves any kind of modification they don't even go near it. If the vehicle has modifications already, they advise me to "return it to stock before proceeding" LOL. Its all liability.
Sorry, but your "genius" electrical buddy either never worked on new F150s before or he wasn't too swift. Adding OEM rear cameras to them is very easy, since all XLT trim levels and higher have the plug in the harness already and since they are non-MFT, you just need the camera, the rear view mirror with mini monitor and mirror wire harness with connector. All parts are available from Tasca Ford for around $350 and less than hour install time if you are even remotely handy with tools and cars. I've done it myself on a new F150 and it's been covered on F150forum.com
Now, having said all that, our new Focus with MFT is a completely different beast and you most likely need a completely new wire harness and modules as well, so it could be cost prohibitive. I think the Lockpick route will be the way to go.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)