Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Who's considering the Focus Electric?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The notion that you have to charge an EV x hours every night is a misconception.

All those 8 hr (or so) figures that folks like to throw around are to fill the battery from completely empty to completely full. But in real life, you only refill what you've used, not the whole thing.

My daily commute is 13 mi. If I plugged it in only twice a week, it would be plenty, and even then it would only take a few hours with a reg 110 V outlet, which is a complete non-hassle when parking in my garage at night. If I bought an eFocus, I wouldn't even bother buying the high-speed charger.

I disagree with the idea that an EV is pointless if it doesn't do what a traditional car does. That is like saying bikes are pointless because they don't do what cars do. The fact is, it doesn't need to. If you are in a position where a bike suits your need, it's awesome, and it may even be superior to a car. (That was the case for me in college.) In fact, you can own both a car and a bike. If you are in a position where an EV suits your needs, I fully expect you'd find them awesome, too. For me, an EV, even with the 80 mi range of the eFocus, would be superior to an ICE car because it is a better fit for my needs. They're just still too expensive. If the price was comparable to a hybrid like the Prius (i.e., just a few thousand more than a comparable ICE), it would be worth it to me to buy one.