Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - SVT springs vs FRPP kit; comfort, ride & handling
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #53
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakc View Post
And that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

How long did you wait after installing the kit before you got an alignment? And what kind of rubber/rims do you have?
I was pretty sure I was in need of an alignment before I got the new suspension installed. So I got an alignment immediately and the shop agreed it was in need of one.

In the summer I am using 215.45/17 Dunlop SP Sport Signature (Ultra High Performance All-Season) on SVT 5 spoke rims. For winter I am using 205.55/16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on 16" 6 spoke Cougar wheels.

The summer tires are fine, I'm happy with their dry performance and they grip well. Not the best when it comes to colder or wintry conditions (I'd call them closer to a summer tire than an all season.) I will probably switch to a dedicated summer tire once these wear out. The winter tires are performance winter/snow tires, so they handle more like a sport tire than a dedicated snow tire but you give up a little snow/ice grip for their better dry/wet performance (which they handle much better than an all season in the snow.)

I only picked up the 5 spokes because I wanted a nice looking wheel, which they do look sharp on our cars. I will probably look to get a lighter 16 or 17" rim in the future to replace them. They probably cost me an MPG or two on average and take a slight toll on performance (the whole unsprung weight thing.)