Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #66
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
Ford Customer Service called again today to give me an update. They are still no closer to determining the source of the car's hum. She briefly explained how they use chassis ears to diagnose the source of a hum and that they are continuing to look for the source. She'll get back to me on Wednesday.

The service manager from the service dealer also gave me a call today. That was fairly disheartening. He told me that they have used the chassis ears on every part they can think of to find the hum and can't find where it's coming from. The first thing they tried was the wheel bearings, then the intermediate assembly, intermediate bearings, top bottom and sides of the transmission, motor and transmission mounts, and even the car's floorboards (because you can feel the hum through the floorboards as well as hear it). He said that they continue to call the Ford hotline for help, and that he has so far described my issue to no less than 4 different technicians. As we can all imagine, it's very hard to describe a humming noise over a telephone.

He said that the next course of action will involve a Ford Field Service Tech stopping by to drive the car and hear the hum for himself. This is why he drove my car and compared it to another car on the lot that does not hum. This is what the Field Service Tech will have to do to see that there is actually a strange issue with my car. He may or may not get the Field Service guy to stop by tomorrow depending on the Field guy's schedule, and he'll call me back tomorrow about it (Tuesday). He estimates that they would need the car in the shop a minimum of 3 days should that tech be able to stop by and help diagnose the problem....

This sucks. The question I can't help but ask is, what happens if they can't find the source? I love my car to death but I can't live with a car that sings a crappy tune to me when I drive between 45 and 60 mph Still have my fingers crossed, I just want it fixed!
I don't know what to say other than I was treated in almost the same way. They said they could not find the cause of the noise using the chassis ears during my first complaint last August, but the dealer could hear and feel the vibrations within almost the same MPH as you. I told them I had to drive under a dangerous 50 or speed over 70 on the interstate for the noise to go away. Anyway, Ford has fixed the problem with my car making the repairs as I have posted. I bet that is what will take care the problem with your car as it has with several others posting here. Keep after the dealer and FORD CS, every day if you have to. The dealer even offered to trade me out of the car but I would not go along with any loss to me for FORD's poor workmanship or lack of quality control of their vendors product, so that did not work out. After all a 28K list car should be better than that.

Best suggestion, document everything. I truly wish you good luck with getting the problem fixed.