Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Overheating
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #43
cscharles
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95330
What I Drive: 2012, Black Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 cscharles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus overheats

My new Focus experienced a similar problem of overheating last evening. I had driven about 60 miles on the turnpike at about 75mph and then into stop and go traffic about a mile from home. All of a sudden go the message that the engine has overheated and I should stop when safe. The temperature guage was maxed out high. Turned off AC and temp came down a little bit so the guage was indicating.

I continued to drive for another couple of minutes until out of traffic and home. Checked under the hood and noticed that the radiator cooling fan was not operating dispite the engine still indicating above the middle of the guage.

Drove car to work 30 miles this morning and the temperature guage rose to a normal indication and stayed in the middle of the guage. I used AC the last 5 miles and no change in engine temperature indication. Outside temp 64 deg.

I checked the coolant fan when I got to work and it was not operating so It may be a fan issue but outside temps was low enough to not let engine overheat.

Need to take it in but if no indications of the issue from yesterday it may be a waste of time. I do a lot of driving so don't want it to happen when I'm out on the turnpike again.